Monday, August 2, 2010

Baby Gifts - Quilt and Bibs
















The year of the baby gift! We have at least 4 people that are having babies this year. I normally go to the store and purchase a baby gift, but I decided that it was time to bite the bullet and try to make something for our friends and family members that are expecting.



This was my first attempt at any kind of quilt. It is simply made with jelly roll strips and some brown fabric with a small print. I didn't want to go with the normal baby pastels, so this is what I came up with for the little guy. I have a walking foot but didn't know what I was doing so I ended up using a regular foot. As a result I ended up with quite a bit of puckering in the fabric. I still think it turned out cute, but I will definitely learn to use my walking foot before attempting to quilt again.
I also made 2 bibs out of the same strips. Instead of the brown cotton I used part of a new yellow towel for the back. It made the bibs super thick and absorbent. The other thing I did differently than most people is that I made binding and turned it into a tie. I much preferred tie bibs when my kids were litlle over velcro or snaps. It takes more time, but to me it is worth it. I learned a great deal from this project and it provided insight for my next baby gift adventure!


No comments:

Post a Comment